Sustainability will impact all aspects of our lives as awareness increases and as the bad effects of our current lifestyles become more obvious. Here are a few items to think about that don't require any sacrifice but can have a large impact:
- Look for products with a minimal amount of packaging.
- When considering moving look at what is within walking distance. If you see 2 homes that are otherwise relatively equal, try picking the one that has more close-by.
- Paying slightly more for a very efficient appliance now will likely save you money in the long-term.
- If you have a choice of 2 products (most obvious for fresh fruits and vegetables) where one is local and the other isn't, choose the local one.
- Look for the most fuel-efficient vehicle within the class you want. Any extra cost would likely be paid back within a few years due to gas savings, but calculate the difference to be sure.
- Bottled water really is very unsustainable, a huge waste of energy, and possibly the most brilliant marketing scam ever. When else would you ever consider paying a lot of money for something you can get for free at home already? Consider using a filter at home instead.